Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject Guitar Pro 6 - GPX Files

David

Guitar Pro 6 was released a few days ago and with it comes a new guitar pro file format: GPX. Hopefully the next version of tuxguitar will support these files. In order to do that we will have to figure out how to open these GPX files.

The best way I can think of is an open collaborative effort.

So to start off, if you don't own a copy of GP6, you can download some sample GPX files here:
http://community.livejournal.com/jrock_tabs/802580.html

Danielku15

I already startet analysing the GPX file format. They changed it completely. It also seems that it is encoded somehow. There aren't any unicode strings in the file. But I found a really interesting bit in the install directory. There are XSL files describing parts of the file structure!!

Sasoribi

It seems to be an encoded (not necessarily a compressed) XML file. My guess is, that when you open the file with GP6, it gets decoded and is then matched with the XML schema file (gpif.xsd) to make sure the content is valid.

Once someone has figured the encoding algorithm it should be quite easy to read GPX files :)

bSr43

Hello !

Just a quick and dirty answer, because I'm in hollyday with no computer.

I'm the one who created GPX binary layout. GPX are compressed files corresponding to a container filesystem, with at least one file inside named score.gpif.

Compression is a very simple home made dynamic dictionnary compression scheme. File starts with "BCFZ" for compressed files and "BCFS" for uncompressed one.

For compression, simply consider file as a binary stream. BCFZ singature is followed by the decompressed length on 32 bits. Then you'll find a succession of compressed and uncompressed chunks. As far as I remember, a 0 means "raw content follows", and 1 means "compressed content follow". For uncompressed chunks (starting with 0), you'll find two bits giving you length in bytes of the following raw content. For compressed, four bits gives you an integer P, then two words of P bits follow named OFFSET and LENGTH, so content is previously uncompressed content found OFFSET bytes later.

I know that those informations are a little bit raw, but with no source code I cannot do so much ;-)

uncompressed resulting file is a little more difficult to explain, but basically, it's just like a little harddisk with files in it, starting with a FAT saying which block are free to write or not. I'm sure you'll understand format easily ;-)

Julian

Hi guys..

bSr43, thanks for the info!!
Doesn't it use any known compression algorithm ?? I don't it at all.

Anonymous

No, sorry, this is not a known algorithm you could find in any library. But implementation following these rules should be written on 30 lines of C ;-)
there was no vital need to use something that was home made, but that was the choice we made to go faster (we already had code written).

Julian

Will the uncompressed score.gpif file be a text/xml file ?

I'll try to investigate it this weekend.. i'm not sure at all, when you say "compressed and uncompressed chunks... 0 = uncompressed, 1 = compressed".. this 0/1 is the result of a read "bit" or "byte"..

thanks for your help

Danielku15

Sounds very interesting bSr43. I like the idea of a file-system within a file (like thumbs.db). Did the songmodel change as well (sure it did, but how much). Will we be able to integrate the new format into the old songmodel?

@Julian: I'm quite sure they are xml files as there are xslt files within the install directory which are used for file converting.

I'm wondering why one of my posts are missing in this thread. As I remember I answered twice :(

Julian

Hey Danielku15, i didn't remove anything if you are asking that :)

Julie92

Hi guys, hi bSr43,

Thanks for the draft about GPX format. Has anyone managed to extract the filesystem described above?

Bassklampfe

Hi!

I would proudly like to say, I've reached the first goal. From the eleven files at http://community.livejournal.com/jrock_tabs/802580.html I can decode all into seperate files, which are (until now)

score.gpif, misc.xml, BinaryStylesheet, LayoutConfiguration and PartConfiguration.

Next step will be to look inside the content of all this stuff.

However, the whole thing is quite strange:

* proprietary "archive" format (they call it "little harddisk"), which wastes a lot of space.
[ my result from "09. Relax Over.gpx" : total 565252 used 517352 waste 47900 (8.4%) ]
* proprietary compression format, which isn't very strong (winrar manages to compress the content more than by 71% better than GPX)
and some kind of obfuscated (some bits are hi-endian, others are lo-endian, without any logical motivation),
* Looks like there is no kind of security like CRC32 or something similar. So you can only assume, the file is correct, if the reader does not crash

I really dont understand, why the GP-Team does not use the wellknown standard to put the main xml-file + supporting other files into a zip archive, as this is "good-practice" in nearly every software, which processes XML. Examples are OpenOffice or also capx. Using zip-archiv would make it very easy to read and write GPX files with almost any programming languages on almost any operating system.

But maybe, thats just what they wanted to prevent :-/

Regards Jørgen

PS: Before you ask, my scripts are written in Lua targeting GuitarPro6 Import in PriMus.

PS2: @ TuxGuitar developers. Please feel free to contact me at Joergen dot vonBargen at hamburg dot de and I will gladly share my source with you

Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita

Wow! That's the single most important step in decoding gp6 files as of now.

TG devs, can we hope for gpx support in Tuxguitar 1.3? That would be awesome!

Danielku15

I'm already working on a GPX File Reader based on the lua scripts of Bassklampfe. My holidays just began und now I've time for analysis. There's only one method in those scripts which I don't understand. It seems this method is a kind of workaround for replacing the missing bitwise operators in lua.

Danielku15

UPDATE: I've translated Bassklampfe's code into C#
and Java which allows me to extract the files within the GPX File. I also started to analyze the most important file: score.gpif
This xml file contains all song information we need to parse the file within the old song model. And the best thing is: Arobas provides the XML Schema file of this xml file (%GP6_INSTALLDIR%/xsl/gpif.xsd) This makes it easy to understand the different values. Tomorrow I'll start writing the XML parser.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Bassklampfe

@Danielku15: I'm pleased to hear, my script was helpful for you as a template for your code. Sorry for the issue with the bitops, but I did not have the luabits lib at that place, where I worked on the code.

In the meantime I also ported my code to a C-library, which is now called from my script (which gave an enormous speedup ). And my Beta-Version of PriMus is now able to import GPX-Files. I still have some minor task like "looking up the midi-channels" etc, but the big work seems to be done. (I managed to extract the xml from gpx-files into a similar data structure as I get when reading gp3-5 files.)

By the way: I still have issues at the end of the bitstream while decompression. With almost every file I get a potential short read for the very last chunk. My workaround is to assume, everything is fine, when i get to the last bytes of the bitstream, but I'm not really happy with this solution. Question: Did YOU find any clear indication for "End-Of-Compressed-Data"?

Regards from Hamburg, Germany Jørgen

Danielku15

I'm still not any further than you. At my current work I'm trying to optimize your code and get rid of some loops which are not needed in my opinion.

For example this strange loop at line 127 of your lua script surely can be optimized. I'm confused why this data repetition on line 138 is really needed. I tried some other algorithms for reading those chunks.

Currently you don't use the want_size variable. I'm sure we should compare the count of read bytes to this expected size.

Bassklample

@Danielku15: You have mail :-)

Scalpweb

Hi !

Any news about the gpx file format ?
I'm a Java developper, maybe I can help ?

Cheers,

Scalp

Scalpweb

I updated my SVN and saw that there is already a gpx support. Great !

Anonymous

What do you mean by updating your SVN. I'm not really good with computers :S and I've been trying to find a way to open a gpx file besides guitar pro 6

dd

good

Anonymous

Rename *.gpx file to *.gp5
LOL

Anonymous

yea what do you mean to update your svn?

I want to know to.

Audun

Hey guys!
I just need some updates... how far are we from getting .gpx support in tux? :)

BW,
AudunM

Kreuger

Any news on this being implemented?

Kreuger

Updates?

hello fucker

just passing through

SVN as in subversion; it means he downloads the code and compiles it.

here, have a look:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar/develop/

If I recall, there's a binary snapshot off the trunk floating out there...

just passing through

here you go:
http://rzr.online.fr/q/tuxguitar

it's .deb (debian or ubuntu). no windows package, I think ;)

Kreuger

Your PPA is retarded. It doesn't work. I'll just build the svn instead.

Nikita

Any updates about .gpx files reader in Tuxguitar ?

Cheers,
Nikita

swalker133

Any idea on when .gpx files will work in tuxguitar? Just found this and i really need to convert them:

http://iosmusician.blogspot.com/2011/02/synthesia-guitar-hero-for-piano-like.html

Maclaren

Hi. New here.

I've came across to this online converter. It works. Converts GPX and saves it to GP5, MIDI, text, XML and Lilypond.

Maclaren

This is site: http://www.tab-exporter.com/

Valentin

Thank you!!!

Proper

Thank you Maclaren :)

iosmusician1

But do u know any site that saves GP5, GP4, GP3, files as .GPX

Shredder

http://www.tab-exporter.com/ Is not working :(

Tomtiger

Worked for me, I could convert form .GPX to .GP5.
Thank you!

kakashigr

This site doesn't process chords at all when you feed it with a gpx file.

MoonDevil

If u guys are using Iphones/Ipads which had beed cracked, theres a best way to read those . gpx files
1st - download guitar pro ( newest version ) from Installous - a ( illigal) program to download.
2nd - u need to make sure that u have a laptop or a computer where your .gpx files are stored + using the same net.
3 - Choose " + Add " in G.Pro on iphones/pad and follow the instruction produced there then u will be able to open ur .gpx files.
Hope u guys succeed in the 1st time ( btw my English is very bad so ... )

Scalpweb

I'm the guy who developped Tab-Exporter.com website, I'm open to any suggestion to improve it.

Marco

@Scalpweb: You better try to contact the developers personally: http://tuxguitar.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuxguitar/trunk/AUTHORS?revision=873&view=markup

wolfgang

will tuxguitar be continued? last official release was in 2009 - three years ago now.

wolfgang

sorry - last official release was two years ago. a really long time ...

DarekKay

That's a good question. The main developer started to commit new changes, and some other people are working on it as well. The latest SVN version of TG has some cool, new features.
But I don't know, why this stuff hasn't been released yet..

Jalia

Boy that rlelay helps me the heck out.

jcqaitgegq

Y5QL8V lfjfwvqempee

katleyag

private health insurance %(( business insurance usqtr

sonrabirgun

auto insurance rates ulfw life insurance quotes rcdf

bleach33kon

home owner's insurance 1216 affordable life insurance vmohsc

SarahxScares

health insurance quotes >:((( cheap auto insurance 141

CapnCarnage

car insurance quotes zglnzw colorado health insurance shlmg

Densus

home insurance >:-] life insurance quotes joswtu

sdfasdfas

Angry Birds Online
Pizza Hut Coupons
Edible Arrangements Coupons
Dominos Coupons

Life Insurance Quotes
Term Life Insurance Quotes
Car Insurance Rates
Cheap Car Insurance
Online Degree Schools
Whole Life Insurance
Life Insurance Rates
Grow Hair Faster
Acid Reflux Symptoms
Acne Treatment
Benefits of Vegetarianism

xVileHeartx

home insurance 88044 car insurance mbduwo

fracturemind

tramadol 200 pills online :DD cheap ultram 391

Havreplayer

car insurance rates der auto insurance fefohu

mshakhz

car insurance ezjwm home insurance 946891

Anonymous

car insurance ez

panigator

infinity auto insurance 8-)) car insurance 387389

aznboifromVA

ultram cle tramadol mnr

tankdiver

utah home insurance quote snx life insurance 9059

FurubaDragon

life insurance comparison =D home inspector insurance jtxhi

lori

wholesale pearl necklace

pearl necklace

pearls necklace

pearl pendant necklace

pearl choker

freshwater pearl necklace

black pearl necklace

pearl strand necklace

fresh water pearl necklace

faux pearl necklace

white pearl necklace

cultured pearl necklace

pearl bead necklace

pink pearl necklace

pearl necklaces for brides

baroque pearl necklace

cheap pearl necklace

cultured freshwater pearl necklace

coin pearl necklace

keshi pearl necklace

real pearl necklace

buy pearl necklace

GoldenPickaxe

It's uterly sad how filled with spam these forums are. This is a vERY important topic and our community has been attacked by all this. I think we need a floodcheck.

NatFilth

Hi, im new here... i dont stand a lot all of you say.. mm.. well, i dont be close for your known but, im guitarrist and i feel interesting for know what happen with the format gpx to can read in the TG or maybe become the format... i dont know..
Emm... only one question, what happen at all??

Andrew

Inspect http://www.tab-exporter.com/ This might Help.

Anonymous

Good post. Thanks for sharing this useful information with us.

BA Dissertation

BSC Dissertation

Business Dissertation

Doctoral Dissertation

Economics Dissertation

Engineering Dissertation

Finance Dissertation

Graduate Dissertation

International Finance Dissertation

Journalism Dissertation

MBA Dissertation

MSC Dissertation

Music Dissertation

PhD Dissertation

Sports Dissertation

Statistics Dissertation

Undergraduate Dissertation

Dissertation Help

Essay Help
Essay Help
Assignment Help
Affordable Market

Took a lot of time to read but I really found this very interesting and informative, thank you buddy for sharing.

SEO Company

SEO Services

SEM Services

I think we need to bring more ideas for this purpose. Involvement of young people can be handy in this regard. I am happy to find a good post here. Thank you

Social Media Marketing Services

Pay Per Click Services

Link Building Services

Content Writing Services

Thanks for this read mate. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! But I admire the precious time and effort you put into it, especially into interesting articles you share here!

Logo Design

Cheap Logo Design

Affordable Logo Design

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from now on. I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a nice day!

Logo Design Contests

Cheap Logo Design

I like your style of writing. You break it down nicely. Keep these informative posts coming! They are a great resource for us logo designers.

Buy Essay

Cheap Custom Essays

Help With Essay

Write My Essay

Retro Air Jordan

The following Cheap Air Jordans articles within the mouse some why Jordan Retro 11 leather shoes is very popular. Of course Air Jordans not such reason. "The only, so a lot of people like to wear Cheap Jordans, Cheap Jordan Shoes sell Cheap Air Jordans and popularity so positive reproduced, another reason. Here are some more Nike Air Jordan,Air Jordans 8 For Sale.Even many enterprises have to Nike Air Yeezy why people exclaim Air Yeezy Shoes, and not to buy the house for the Air Yeezy.Dr Dre Headphones said: "it is advisable. However, Retro Jordans not only be inconvenient, as long as you a pair of his spirit alone busy, you didn't predict long-term sustained. This is Air Yeezy 2 can do. Cheap Jordans they'll let you of the line of sight of Cheap Chanel Handbags the mount kumgang most likely you always Air Jordans 13 For Sale which type of participation in sport". Cheap Beats By Dr Dre is specific sports activities, and still can Jordan Concords, both capital city, double Monster Beats and jewellery and other fashion items.Manufacturer has also proposed Cheap Jordans, enterprise Banks from Cheap Jordans everyone who believe that children are all jumping and the time required for Chanel J12 Watch, who will support their feet middle-aged fashionable and old man, Jordan Shoes remains to be seen. Everything is Cheap Chanel Bags like compared to comfort good Monster Beats Solo deloitte are activities to wear away, you will continue their Chanel 2.55 Bags treasures collectors for you.In the same group of Beats Headphones is the best qualified design and collect and and movement Monster Beats, and the combination of Monster Beats Pro suit, forever. Do you like Monster Beats Studio, selling shoes Jordan is expected to ease Monster Beats Headphones.

sdf

Do you know that there are many Louis Vuitton Outlet Stores Online,which offer the very cheap fashion items ,like the Louis Vuitton Handbags,Louis Vuitton scarf,Louis Vuitton shoes and so on.But they are not the original items from LVM.